SZOMOLYA

English




Szomolya is situated at the southern foot of the Northern Mountains. The first written record of the village is in a document of the 13th century, which is about the construction of a Cistercian Abbey of Bélapátfalva (Bélháromkút).
Earlier the villagers earned their livings by agricultural production here.
The geographical location and conditions of Szomolya are favourable for the growing of grain crops, grape- wine and many kinds of fruits.
Szomolya is the northest village of the Bükk with 1811 inhabitants. The village is famous all over the country for its shortstemmed, black cherry. The cherry of Szomolya is registered in a prominent place by the special literature. Besides growing cherry this place has centuries old traditions of wine-making. Some villagers produce excellent wine.
From the standpoint of tourism it is also a remarkable place. One part of the village is nature reserve.
There are some notable sights of Szomolya, like the hive-stones, a sheep-fold cut into tuff near Leánytó, an old cave-house as a museum the Roman Catholic Church.
Village-tourism is suitable for further development, as there are privat houses capable of offering accomodation. In the neighbouring village of Bogács (3 km) and in Mezokövesd (10 km) there are good thermal baths. Visitors may see remarkable places close here, like the Matyó Museum and the Machine Museum in Mezokövesd. There is Eger, this magnificent town with its own touristic sight 18 km away from here.
The hive-stones have special natural value and at he same time they are misterious monuments of civilizations history. There are some hive-stones in nearby villages too. These magnificent geological forms represents archeological, historical and ethnographical values as well. Gyula Bartalos and Lajos Kolacskovszky consider the King's chair (Királyszéke) of Szomolya the most peculiar and facinating hive-stone. Its name is referred to this magnitude too. The cave-house (with the little museum) houses the camps of fine art and craftsmanship every summer. Since the publications of Zsigmond Bátky in 1906 the cave-houses of Bükk are known in the etnographical literature through the wpeciments of Szomolya. The number of these cave-houses, comparing to the whole house-number of the village, and in absolute nuimbers too were the most considerable. On the villagemap of Szomolya in 1862 there were 82 cave-houses indetified. Between the two World Wars 820 people lived in 172 cave-houses. In the survey of Ferenc Bakó in 1971 there were 39 such houses found yet, and 27 of them were inhabited. According to a general monography of Ferenc Bakó the cave-houses of Szomolya constitute the particular parts of this specifie housing-culture. We can see porches cut into tufa by demanding care and there are some two-storeyed cave-houses as well. The laden stone-walls, the stone crosses, the pillars of porches determine the athmosphere of the village and the image of streets. They are all local stone-cutters' works. The best-known representative among them mas Márton Szalóki.



A projekt aloldala




Belépés
Regisztráció
Jelszó emlékeztető

A honlapon találhatóak olyan menüpontok, melyek funkciói teljesen csak regisztráció és belépés után érhetőek el.
Ilyen a fórum, valamint egyes könyvtári részek. A jövőben terveim szerint még nagyobb hangsúlyt fog kapni, hogy valaki regisztrált és belépett felhasználó-e.


Jelenleg az egész még teszt üzemben működik!

Polgármesteri Hivatal, 3411 Szomolya, Szabadság tér 1. Tel.:49/526-000 Fax:49/426-000 e-mail: info@szomolya.hu